My wonderful kids

My wonderful kids
Life with 4 kids is interesting but fun. I love sharing my life with them and watching them grow.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Tenant Problems

We had a problem with the sewage backing up in the apartment because our pipes to the outside suck and the plumber got his camera stuck and ended up having to rip out the flooring to get the camera out (yet we get to pay for his stupidity) and the sewage (basically the toilet overflowed) about 5 feet onto the carpet. He called for us to clean it up-which is fine. I got in there the very next day and steam cleaned it as well as cleaned it up with bleach and stuff. Frigging GROSS! He called the next day and said it wasn't dry, Lee called him back and got voicemail and offered him a fan and suggested opening his windows - why he lives in Fort Knox is beyond me but he doesn't feel safe to open windows at ALL. I called him again a week or so later to see if the carpet was dry but we never heard back from him (THANK GOD I KEEP RECORDS OF WHEN I TALK TO THESE PEOPLE). We assumed it was fine since he never returned our calls. This past Thursday night he called and said he has mould. Great. He spoke with Lee and they argued a bit. He said he didn't want anyone in his apartment that night. Fine. I called some mould guys and had one there Friday at 4:30pm which meant he was there to see the guy too. When the mould guy got there (and before I arrived) he asked our tenant if he lived there and the guy says "who wants to know?" and the mould guy says he is there to inspect mould. So tenant is happy about that but the guy says he's meeting a landlord and tenant asks who because he doesn't want to see Lee. Guy says it's me and tenant is fine with that. So anyway, teh mould guy says the tenant needs to clean his OWN stuff and we need to change flooring where the sewage touched it immediately as in we need to change the flooring right away. We're fine with that. Whatever, no big deal, so we change the floor. Guy suggests a de-humidifier. he says the bleach I used could have made the problem worse but he lifts the carpet in the corner and there isn't any mould underneath so likely I did do any harm. However, information found on the internet says to use bleach to clean it up. There isn't too much online though. So Saturday I bring him a de-humidifier, air purifier (not even recommended by guy) and mould cleaner. Along with a letter stating we need to have him clean his stuff by Oct 4 so we can do the flooring that weekend as well as get it professionally steam cleaned on Oct 6. Tenant won't sign paper. Gives me a paper the next day asking for $1000 to compensate his time and property. Are you kidding? The mould wasn't even in the area of the sewage. There is mould because the property doesn't have air circulation and it's humid as hell here. De-humidifier will fix that. I learned he doesn't have tenant insurance either. Which is in his lease. Also in his lease is paying on time but obviously he doesn't remember that part either. Of course to top it all off it all happens the weekend I have Taylor. I hate that it took away from me visiting with her. I'm stressed out and it sucks. Anyway I just wanted to get this all out. I'm just stressed right now.

No comments: